Ear-Healthy Dark Chocolate Bark
It’s December and I want to share one of my favorite ear-healthy treats to make over the holidays. Did you know that good nutrition & minerals play an important role in ear and hearing health? Well – this is delicious AND ear-healthy so enjoy!
This recipe is full of antioxidants, magnesium, selenium, copper, zinc – all key nutrients that prevent noise-related and age-related hearing loss. Important nutrients that fight inflammation, improve circulation and boost immunity – key components to healthy ears and hearing.
Follow the recipe below and use good-quality or organic ingredients and dark chocolate that has at least 70% cacao.
Ear-Healthy Dark Chocolate Bark Recipe:
1 lb dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup finely chopped Brazil nuts
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cashews
1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
Himalayan or sea salt to taste
Honey (adjust to taste)
Optional add: 1/4 cup shredded coconut; 1 Tbsp sesame seeds; 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds. Add as desired.
- Melt and mix the butter or coconut oil and dark chocolate over low heat or in the microwave. Stir frequently.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the nuts evenly across the sheet.
- Add the honey once the chocolate is melted and adjust to taste.
- Slowly pour the melted chocolate over the nuts. Spread evenly over nuts with spatula. Save some of the chocolate for later topping.
- Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients over the nuts and chocolate mix. Then spread remaining chocolate evenly over top.
- Place in refrigerator to cool until solid.
- Break into pieces and store in refrigerator.
Nutrition has a ripple effect on your ear health! Make hearing healthy nutrients a priority for 2022 and you will hear well as you age.
Dr. Anita Carroll is a licensed Audiologist and owner of Hearing Solutions in the Triangle, PLLC with over 25 years of experience. Need some wellness tips – she can be contacted here. If you’re looking to test hearing or improve listening skills visit our online scheduling here.